We are Worshipping Warriors- The Holy Spirit Gives us POWER!
This year our theme is Worshipping Warriors. In order for our children to truly worship they must know that Jesus gave us power through the Holy Spirit.
Pentecost is the birthday of the church and on Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was given equally to all believers present, a fulfillment of the Old Testament. The Spirit defines the church for ministry. The Spirit moves the church from fear to boldness in ministry. The Spirit of God is not contained in boundaries. The Holy Spirit gives us power to tell the world about Jesus.
“Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
Acts 1:4-8, 2:1-41
Memory verse for this rotation:
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- know where Acts is in the New Testament and know that it is the story of the early church after Jesus’ death and resurrection.
- be able to retell the story of the coming of the Holy Spirit.
- begin to understand the role of the Holy Spirit.
- understand that the Spirt is with us as we are called to share the Good News.
- find their own answer to Acts 2:37 in response to the coming of the Spirit: “Brothers, what shall we do?”
- repeat the memory verse (Acts 1:8).
Build a tower and use a rushing wind to blow it down like the Holy spirit.
This is a simple cut and paste craft that is fun and easy for children of all ages to complete.
Children can use the template pieces provided or they can use their imagination and design their own. There are a number of different templates to pick from.
The cross is good for the holy spirit based theme.
- Create the stained glass window background:
- Cut out an archway shape from blue construction paper or use the template provided.
- Cut out random rectangular shapes from multiple colors of construction paper.
- Glue the pieces all over the window to give it a stained glass look.
Parachute (Bed Sheet)Game:
Talk about how we are going to be learning about the Holy Spirit today. Share about how the Holy Spirit moves like the wind. It holds us up and fills us up and makes us float. The Holy Spirit first came to disciples like a rushing wind. Here are some things you can play to help the kids understand the concept:
- Spirit Says(like Simon Says) :Spirit says wave the parachute(sheet) fast, slow, like waves, still, put it over your head, turn around, hold it, etc.
- Tent time: everyone raises their arms up holding the parachute altogether, takes a few steps in toward the center, brings the parachute behind them and sits down on the edge to make mushroom, tent dome, etc
- Switch places number off the kids raise up the parachute, call out a number or two and those kids run under the parachute and switch places or find new place.
Give each child a musical instrument to use (tambourine, triangle, etc.) Teach them this song:
God Sent Down the Holy Spirit
To the tune of “Jesus Loves the Little Children”
God sent down the Holy Spirit
Like tongues of fire on their heads,
Many heard the gospel and believed
And then Jesus they received,
Start a parade singing this song while using the instruments.
Ages 5-12 Classes Resources:
Holy Spirit crafts
Power Zone Theater– Movie Room